Usually, global attributes are created and managed via the Classes & Attributes section (Catalog -> Classes & Attributes) of the store Admin area.
To view the list of global attributes configured in the store, it’s necessary to open the Classes & Attributes section and click on the link Edit attributes (N) opposite the Global attributes line (where N stands for the number of global attributes configured in the store).
The global attributes listing page allows to add new and manage existing global attributes and group global attributes if required.
To add a new global attribute:
1. In your store’s Admin area, go to the Classes & attributes section (Catalog > Classes & attributes).
2. Click on the Edit attributes (N) link opposite the Global attributes title.
This opens a page where you will be able to manage global attributes.
3. On this page, click New attribute:
A popup titled New attribute appears:
4. Use the fields of the New attribute popup to provide information about the new attribute. Specify the following information:
Attribute: Attribute name.
Attribute group: Select a group name from the drop-down if this is applicable. Use the Attribute Groups guide to learn how to join attributes into groups.
Type: Attribute value type (Plain field, Textarea, Yes/No, Hidden field).To choose a proper attribute value type for your attribute, refer to the guides from Attribute Value Field Types.
Display as: Select the display mode from the drop-down.
5. Click Next. The attribute should be saved, and the popup expands to edit attribute options:
6. Configure the attribute options depending on the chosen attribute value field type. Add as many attribute options as you need.
7. If you want some or all of the option(s) you added for this global attribute to be assigned automatically to all NEW products in your store’s catalog, click the check-mark icon opposite the names of the related attribute options (the check-mark icons should turn green):
Enabling a check-mark for a hidden attribute option will not affect the existing products by far. All existing products will preserve their current global attributes’ configuration.
8. Once you’re done editing the attribute options, save the changes using the Save changes button.
All global attributes are assigned automatically to all existing products in the store. However, for them to be displayed properly in the storefront, a store admin must configure global attribute options for existing products.