A store admin can check the list of global attributes and manage them on a global attributes listing page in the Classes & Attributes section of the Admin area (Catalog > Classes & Attributes).
All changes applied to global attributes via the Classes & Attributes section of the Admin area will apply store-wide and affect all products with the related global attribute enabled.
To view the list of global attributes configured in the store, it’s necessary to open the Classes & Attributes section and click on the link Edit attributes (N) opposite the Global attributes line (where N stands for the number of global attributes configured in the store).
The global attributes listing page gives a store admin the tools to edit global attribute name and configuration, re-arrange, and delete global attributes.
Editing Global Attributes
Sometimes you may need to change the name and/or values of a global attribute.
1. On the global attributes listing page, locate the attribute you need to edit and hover a mouse over it. You will see the properties that can be edited directly on this page highlighted. These are the attribute name and display mode. You can also enable/disable the visibility toggle not living the product class details page.
If you need to change the attribute name, click inside the Attribute name field and edit the attribute name as you require.
Click the Save changes button to make the changes active.
3. To edit the attribute values (or both the attribute name and values), click the respective Pencil icon.
This will open a popup titled Edit attribute values, where you will be able to make the necessary changes:
- If you want some or all of the attribute options(s) to be applied automatically to all the products in your store, be sure to “enable” the check-mark icon opposite the names of the related attribute options (the check-mark icons should turn green).
- If you want to change the attribute options sorting, use the Cross icons to re-arrange them by drag-n-groping them.
- If you want to apply the new sorting to all products that have this global attribute assigned, enable the checkbox Apply sorting globally.
The Apply sorting globally setting affects the “active” attribute options only, i.e., the options marked with a green check-box, and automatically applies to all products.
4. Once you’re done editing, click Save changes.
Editing the Display Mode
Starting with v5.4.1, X-Cart allows switching the display mode of the plain field attributes from select box to blocks in the storefront.
- Display as a select box
- Display as blocks
If necessary, a store administrator can change the display mode of an attribute directly on the global attributes listing page in the Classes & Attributes section of the store's Admin area.
For this purpose, a store admin should:
1. Locate the attribute to be edited in the list of product class attributes.
2. Check the value of the column "Display as" for this attribute.
3. Click on the value and select an alternative in the drop-down. There are only two options - select box and blocks.
4. Click the Save changes button at the bottom of the listing page.
For details, see Multi-Value Attributes.
Editing the Attribute Visibility
Stating with v184.108.40.206, X-Cart allows displaying attributes on the product details page in the storefront above the product price.
The visibility is controlled by the Display option above the price toggle.
For the multivalued attributes and the editable attributes of a Textarea type (product options), the Display option above the price toggle is enabled by default and can not be disabled.
Re-Arranging Global Attributes
A store admin can re-arrange global attributes by drag-n-dropping the attributes with a Cross icon's help on the global attributes listing page.
Save changes when you are done.
Deleting Global Attributes
Use the Trash icon opposite a global attribute name to mark the respective attribute for deletion on the global attributes listing page.
Don’t forget to click the Save changes button when you are done with the attributes management.
The attribute will be deleted from the list of your store’s global attributes and removed from all products' details.