The HEAD section of every page in your store contains elements providing the page metadata. Some of these elements (page title, meta description, and meta keywords) may significantly impact how the page is ranked by search engines and how it is described in search engine results pages. In X-Cart, you have substantial control over the meta elements and can use them for SEO optimization.
Table of Contents
- Editing Default Site Title and Homepage Title
- Editing Page Titles
- Meta Descriptions
- Meta Keywords
- Editing Site Meta Tags
- Editing Products, Categories, and Content Pages Meta Tags
The title element contained in the <title> tag defines the page title, for example:
<title>*Your company name* / Catalog</title>.
This element appears in the browser title bar when the page is opened in a web browser; when the page is bookmarked, the title element is also used to describe the page in the bookmarks list.
The title element is important for search engines. The text contained in the title tag of a page is one of the most important factors determining how the page is ranked. In addition to that, in all major search engines, the title element's text is displayed as the title of the page in the search results.
X-Cart provides some controls allowing the store administrator to adjust the title element.
Editing Default Site Title and Homepage Title
First, on the “SEO Settings” page (Store Setup > SEO Settings), you can set the default site title and the title for the site’s home page:
To edit the values, click on the Pencil icon for the respective fields.
- For the “Default site title” field, this will redirect you to the “Edit Labels” page (Store Setup -> Translations), where you can edit a respective language label in which the value is stored.
- For the Homepage title, you will be redirected to the “Front Page” details (Content -> Front Page), where you can edit the title for the Home page.
Editing Page Titles
In the Page Title Format section of the “SEO Settings” page (Store Setup -> SEO Settings), there is also a set of controls that enable you to set the format of complex page titles:
On a product and category details page, as well as on the content pages in the “Pages” section (Content > Pages), you can find the fields to set a page title (or rather the object name part of the page title):
- The “Product page title” field on a product details page
- The “Category page title” field on a category details page
- The “Content page title” field on a content page
The meta description tag provides a summary of a page’s content; for example:
<meta name="description" content="Welcome to X-Cart Demo Store!It illustrates operation and features of X-Cart - all-in-one eCommerce solution for swift and easy launch of a professional online store. Orders placed here cannot be fulfilled as all the sample products listed in this store are for demonstration and testing purposes only.">
The text that goes between the quotation marks after the “content=” portion of the tag is a meta description.
This tag comes in handy for SEO because it allows you to influence the description of your store’s pages in the web crawlers that support this tag. Different crawlers use this tag differently, but you should expect that if your page's meta description is deemed relevant by a web crawler, at least a portion of it will be displayed as the description of the page in the search results. If this description is enticing enough, you may get more targeted traffic to your site.
The meta keywords tag is another meta tag that has some significance for SEO. It allows you to provide relevant keywords for your pages; for example:
<meta name="keywords" content="shop, shopping cart, web store, gift certificates, wish list, top sellers" />
Today, very few search engines rely on this tag for information about a page. However, you can still use this tag to reinforce the terms you think a page is important for.
Editing Site Meta Tags
In X-Cart, a meta description and keyword tags can be defined for every store site page.
On the “SEO Settings” page (Store setup > SEO settings) of your store Admin area, you can access the sections for setting the default site meta description and keywords, as well as the meta description and keywords for the site’s home page:
To edit the default values, use the Pencil icon opposite the respective field.
- For the “Default site meta description” tag, this will forward you to the “Edit Labels” page of your store Admin area (Store Setup -> Translations), where you will be able to edit the respective language label:
- For the “Default site meta keywords” tag, this will also forward you to the “Edit Labels” page of your store Admin area (Store Setup -> Translations), where you will be able to edit the respective language label:
- For the meta description and keywords of the Homepage, you will be redirected to the “Front page” details (Content > Front page), which is the place where you can adjust the Homepage meta description and keywords:
Editing Products, Categories, and Content Pages Meta Tags
On the products and categories details pages, as well as on the content pages in the “Pages” section (Content > Pages), you can find the fields to set the meta description and meta keywords for the respective pages:
- on a product details page
- on a category details page
- on a content details page