Instagram is now turning into a popular platform for online shopping through integration with the Facebook Catalog feature. With shopping on Instagram, you can share featured products through your posts and stories, or have people discover your products in "Search & Explore".
As selling in Instagram is a brand-new feature which is still in its immature phase, there might be continuous updates coming up in the future. If you have any questions or problems in getting it to work, we suggest you trying to contact Instagram or Facebook support teams for help.
Instagram Shopping Requirements and Availability
If you want to sell goods on Instagram, make sure you are eligible for Instagram Shopping first:
- Your business must be located in a supported market.
- You must sell physical goods (not services or e-goods).
- You must comply with the Facebook commerce policies.
- Your Instagram account must be set up as a business profile (free to set up).
- You must have a product catalogue associated with a shop on Facebook.
Connecting X-Cart to Instagram
To successfully connect your X-Cart store to Instagram:
1. Add your store to Facebook as described in Product Feed Generation and Upload to Facebook.
2. Change your Instagram profile to a business profile and link to your business Facebook page.
- Open Instagram on your mobile, go to your Profile in the bottom right corner.
- Choose "Switch to Business Profile" and select the Facebook page you want to associate with your Business Profile on Instagram. Make sure your profile is set to Public as Private accounts can not switch to Business Accounts.
- On the "Set Up Your Business Profile" page, review your business’s contact information, make any changes and tap Done.
Currently, a business profile on Instagram can only connect to a single Facebook Page.
3. Get an approve from Instagram.
Once you complete the above requirements, your Instagram business profile will be reviewed for access to the shopping feature. Usually, the review process takes a few days but sometimes it can take longer if the Instagram team needs to look into more details. There is no need to apply for approval. If your account is approved, you will receive a notification on your Instagram business profile. Instagram doesn’t provide any indication that the approval process is in the process, so just wait and check. Once approved, you’ll see a Shopping option when you go to Settings in your Instagram App. If you don’t see Shopping under Business Settings, your account either is still under review or has not been approved for shopping on Instagram. Please contact Instagram for further assistance if this is the case.
4. Once you get your approval from Instagram, tag products in your posts on Instagram:
- Tap to go to your Profile. Tap the Get Started alert at the top of your Profile. If you don’t see the alert, tap Shopping -> Continue -> Select a Product Catalog to connect to your Instagram Business Profile. Click Done when a product catalogue is connected.
- To tag products in your posts:
- Select a photo and add a caption, effects and filters.
- Tap the product in the photo that you want to tag.
- Enter the name of a product you want to tag, then select it as it appears in the search box.
- Click Done.
- Click Share.
When someone taps a product tag on your post or a product sticker in your story, they will be taken to a product description page where they will see:
- An image of the product from your post.
- A description of the product.
- A product price.
- A link "View on website" that takes them directly to your X-Cart store, where they can purchase the product.
When you tag products on your posts and add product stickers on your stories, you can view insights on how people interact with your shopping content. This set of insights measures how often people view and interact with products tagged in a post or with a product sticker in a story.