Address zones in X-Cart serve to configure and apply tax and shipping rules based on the customer’s geographic location.
When creating address zones to configure taxes, make sure the zones DO NOT overlap as this may affect the correct tax rates calculation at checkout.
To create an address zone:
1. In your store’s Admin area, go to the "Countries, States, and Zones" page (Store setup > Countries, States, and Zones) and proceed to the Zones tab. This opens the Zones page where you can create and manage your address zones.
2. Click the Create zone button. This adds a new blank line in the zone list.
3. Use the blank line to specify the name of a destination zone, then click the Save changes button at the bottom of the page.
The new zone will add to the list.
4. To configure the zone details, click the Edit button opposite the zone name.
5. A page with the zone details will display. Adjust the zone details as needed.
a) If necessary, edit the name of the zone in the Zone name field.
b) Use the sections "Countries, States, City masks" and "Zip/postal code masks" to specify the regions and territories that belong to the zone you edit.
It is not necessary to use all of the fields to configure a zone. You can use only one type of identifier to assign locations to the zone.
Countries: This field allows you to narrow a zone to a specific country or a list of countries. To add a country to the list start entering its name in the respective field, and a prompt with a list of suitable units will display.
States: This field allows you to narrow a zone to a number of states from a particular country. To add a state to the list start entering its name in the respective field, and a prompt with a list of suitable units will display.
City masks: This field allows you to narrow a zone to a list of particular cities and locations.
Zip/postal masks: This field allows you to narrow a zone to a list of zip or postal codes (or the zip or postal code masks).
The zip and postal code masks help you specify the zip and postal code ranges. You simply replace any number of digits with the “%” symbol. For example, “1001%” corresponds with all the zip/postal codes in the “10010 - 10019” range, “102%” - to all the zip/postal codes in the “10200 - 10299” range.
Please be sure to place each zip/postal code mask entry or full zip/postal code on a separate line like so:
6. Once you are done configuring the zone, click the Save changes button at the bottom of the page.
Go on and use the zone to configure the tax or shipping rates in your store.