The Plain text and Yes/No attribute value field types allow using the multi-value feature, i.e., to specify multiple options for one attribute. In X-Cart 5, this feature is used to specify product options that customers will choose from.
Configuring Multi-Value Attributes
Let’s say that you want to give a buyer the possibility of choosing a garment's size.
You can use Plain field attribute options to provide information about available garment sizes. Specific sizes like S, M, L, etc. can be arranged as product options if you add them as option values for the attribute “Size” like so:
On the storefront, it will be displayed as follows:
The attribute options S, M, L, and others have become product options that buyers can choose from before adding a product to the cart. Product options arranged this way are displayed as a select drop-down.
To configure multiple values for an attribute:
1. Select a product from the product listing and proceed to product details.
2. In the Attributes tab, locate a plain text attribute and hover a mouse over it. This reveals a check box that says multi-value:
3. Select this check box to enable multiple values for the attribute you are editing. A new empty line is added to the attribute values list.
4. Use the Attribute option field on the new line to specify the option name. As soon as you start typing, another empty line will add to the list.
5. Add as many attribute options as you require.
6. If you are editing a product class or global attribute, choose whether you want to apply the changes locally or globally.
7. Click Save changes.
The Yes/No field type is quite similar; the only difference is that there are just two options, Yes and No, and you do not have to specify them manually but can select them from a list.
The Yes/No type of attribute requires the “Buyers can select an option” toggle set to YES for the multivalue feature to become available for the global and product class attributes. The toggle can be switched on when configuring attribute properties.
On the storefront, customers can choose the option they require by adjusting the respective check box:
Arranging product options using the method described above does not provide a way to track how many product items of a specific option were sold and how many are remaining. Also, if a product has more than one multi-value attribute, there is no way to specify the option combinations (product variants) available at a time.
If you need these features, consider installing X-Cart’s Product Variants module. This module allows creating product variants from options and makes them have their own prices, SKUs, and stock levels.
Setting the Default Attribute Value
When configuring multi-value attributes, you can control which attribute values should be shown to customers by default.
To set the default attribute value:
1. Hover a mouse over the field displaying the attribute option value you want to make the default one. A link titled Modifiers is revealed.
2. Click on the Modifiers link and enable the Default option check-box on a popup panel.
3. For product-class and global attributes, select whether you want to apply the changes locally or globally.
4. Click Save changes. The settings will be saved.
Configuring Multi-Value Attributes Display Mode
Starting with X-Cart v5.4.1.x, a store administrator can choose how multi-value attributes will display in the storefront - as select-box or as blocks. This option is available for all scopes and applies only to the plain field type of attributes.
- Display as a select box
- Display as blocks
- Mixed display
The display mode can be set up on a per-product basis or storewide.
To configure plain field attribute display mode for a product:
1. Open the product details page of a product you chose to edit and proceed to the Attributes tab.
2. Locate a multi-value attribute you need to edit either in the product-specific or global section.
3. Hover the cursor on the attribute name and click the link that opens beneath it.
You’ll see an option to set a preferred display mode for this attribute.
4. Set the display mode value either to select-box or blocks.
5. Click the Save changes button at the bottom of the page.
If you edit a global attribute and want the changes to apply storewide, set the “Apply attribute value changes for all the products” toggle on before saving changes.
To configure plain field attribute display mode storewide:
1. Locate the attribute you need to edit in your store Admin area in the Classes and attributes section.
2. Check the value of the column Display as and click on the value to change it.
Your options are Select box and Blocks.
3.. Click Save changes.
Sorting Multi-Value Attributes
If a product has a multi-value attribute, you may need to change the order of appearance of the options on the storefront's product details page.
You can do it like so:
1. In your store’s Admin area, find the product you need to edit, open the product details page, and proceed to the Attributes tab.
2. Make sure you are viewing the Sort Settings section.
3. Drag-n-drop the attributes and their options to arrange them in the right order to display in the storefront.
4. Click Save changes.