Kissmetrics is a behavioral analytics and engagement platform. By connecting your X-Cart store to Kissmetrics, you get a mighty tool to analyze your online store and your customers’ behavior in it.
To connect X-Cart to Kissmetrics via the Segment Integration add-on, you will need an account with Kissmetrics and Segment. The latter is available for free for 1 source so that it may be sufficient for you.
To connect your store to Kissmetrics, follow the steps below:
1. In your X-Cart store’s Admin area, install the add-on Segment Integration from the X-Cart App Store.
2. After installing the addon, open its settings page.
3. While keeping the Segment Integration add-on settings page open in your web browser, open a new tab or window to go to the Kissmetrics website.
- If you already have a Kissmetrics account, simply login to Kissmetrics.
- If you don’t yet have a Kissmetrics account, choose to sign up.
Then, at the first step of the wizard, select the option Enable with Segment, and you will be redirected to Segment to sign in/sign up.
4. Open another browser tab or window to go to the Segment website. Sign up for a free account with Segment, or, if you already have one, simply login to your Segment account.
5. In your Segment account back end, go to the “API Keys” page and find your Write key. Copy this key to the clipboard.
6. Keeping the tab with your Segment account back end open, return to the first tab - the one with the “Segment Integration” settings page in X-Cart - and paste the “Write Key” you have copied at the previous step into the field of the same name.
Save the changes. Do not close this tab yet.
7. Switch to the second tab - the one with your Kissmetrics account back end opened - and go to the Kissmetrics Settings page. On that page, locate your “Tracking API Key” and copy it to the clipboard. And yeah, leave the tab open.
8. Switch to the Segment tab. On the “Integrations” page of Segment, find the Kissmetrics integration (Use the search box, as Segment has dozens of integrations aboard). Click on the integration name to open a setup window.
9. Insert the Tracking API key you have copied earlier in Kissmetrics into the API Key field.
10. Time to run some tests.
If the integration works well, and the customers are already browsing your store now, in about 30 minutes or so, you will see the first reports in your Kissmetrics dashboard.
But there’s a faster way to verify. You can check how it’s logging your own activity in the store in the Live mode of Kissmetrics.
For this purpose:
- Select the “My Activity” tab on the left-hand side menu.
- Use the field provided there to paste the URL of your X-Cart store.
- Click Show my activity.
Your site will open in a new browser window allowing you to track your own activity. Do a few things your store visitors typically do on your site: try to find a product, add it to the shopping cart, place an order, rate a product, and so on. If you can see it tracked by Kissmetrics, welcome to the club.