An offer creation consists of adding a new offer and configuring its properties.
After enabling the addon ‘Buy X Get Y’, in the Discounts -> Special Offers section of your X-Cart store Admin area you will find a pre-configured special offer:
- Sample: Spend $100 and get 50% off the cheapest - an offer that checks if the subtotal amount of a buyer’s shopping cart is equal to or more than $100 and gives the buyer a 50% discount off the cheapest item. This applies to every $100 of the cart subtotal amount.
This offer provides an example of how special offers may work for you. You can remove it or adjust its configuration as you require. Detailed information on the management of special offers is available in Managing Special Offers.
To study the configuration of the sample offer, simply click on its title.
New Offer Creation
1. In your X-Cart store Admin area, go to the Special Offers page (Discounts > Special Offers).
2. From the New offer drop-down, select the type of offer you would like to create: ‘Spend X Get M of items discounted/free’ and click Create.
If you are using only the ‘Spend X get Y’ special offers addon, this will be the only option. Any other options you may find in this box pertain to special offers add-ons other than ‘Spend X Get Y’ and are outside the current article's scope.
A new page will appear, where you will be able to configure your special offer's settings.
3. Go through all the settings on the page and configure the offer as you require. See further below for a detailed explanation of all the settings.
4. Make sure the status of the offer is enabled/active.
5. Click Create to save your changes.
6. Ensure the offer actually shows on the storefront in the intended locations and is available to the relevant customer groups (membership levels).
The settings that need to be configured for each offer are as follows:
The settings in this section define the most general information regarding your special offer.
- Offer type: The type of your offer specified at the previous step (cannot be changed).
- Administrative name: The name by which you will be able to identify this offer; the name specified here only appears in your store’s Admin area (in the ‘Discounts: Special Offers’ section).
- Enabled: Whether the offer is active and can be used by your customers. Unselect the check box if you do not want the offer to be activated immediately after saving.
The settings in this section allow you to specify the offer start and end times and dates. If the dates are not set, the offer is treated as open-ended.
This section allows you to set the conditions that need to be met for your offer to be applied.
- Subtotal (amount to spend): The order subtotal amount that a buyer needs to reach to become eligible for the current offer.
- From these categories: The categories from which the buyer needs to add items to the shopping cart to reach the subtotal amount specified above.
* Subcategories are marked with ‘—.’
** It is possible to select more than one category (Hold down the Ctrl/Shift key.)
*** For a store-wide special offer, no category selection needs to be made. In this case, any items added to the shopping cart (including any products on sale, products with volume discounts, and so on) will be counted towards the subtotal amount required to get this offer.
If a specific category is selected, only the SKUs from this category's root will be counted. To include SKUs from the subcategories, you will need to select the subcategories and the main category.
- Eligible membership levels: The user memberships to which the offer is available. If not set, the offer is available to all buyers.
Let us see what you need to do if you want to exclude the SKUs with volume discounts from the offer.
- If all such products are joined under one category (Category A), in the ‘From these categories’ box, you will need to select all categories from the list except for Category A.
- If the SKUs with volume discounts are not joined under a particular category but rather are available to customers with a particular membership (like ‘Wholesaler’), you will need to select ‘No membership’ in the ‘Eligible membership levels’ box. If there are other memberships in the store in addition to Wholesaler, you will need to select ‘No membership’ and all the memberships that need to be eligible for the offer.
This section allows you to specify the buyer's reward if the special offer is applied to their order.
- Number of items to discount: The number of items that your buyer can get at a discounted price using the current offer. The discount can be as big as 100% if required.
- Discount: The discount amount your buyer will get.
- Discount type: The discount type (can be set as a fixed sum discount - specified in the store currency - or as a percentage (%)). If the discount is set at 100%, the buyer will get the item(s) for free.
This section allows you to specify excluding conditions for the application of the special offer.
If the current special offer needs to be incompatible with some other existing offers, you can specify it in this section. It is possible to select more than one offers. (Hold down the Ctrl/Shift key.) The offers marked as selected in this section will prevent the current offer from being applied.
If you have, for example, Offer A and Offer B, and define Offer B as an exclusion for Offer A, Offer A and Offer B will not be applied to the same products in an order. This means that the cart will first check the order to meet Offer A's conditions and apply the discounts set for Offer A if the conditions are met. The cart will then check the same order to meet Offer B's conditions, excluding the products that were counted for Offer A. If the Offer B conditions are met, the Offer B discounts will be applied to the order as well but to the different items from the order. If no exclusions are set, Offer A and Offer B's discounts can be applied to the same product from the order.
Offers are applied in the order of appearance on the offers listing page.
Description and Promotions
This section defines how your customers will see the offer in the store.
- Title: The offer title as it will appear to your customers.
- Description: The detailed description of the offer. This will be shown on the page with the full details of the offer.
- Image: The image associated with the offer (can be shown on the home page, matching category pages, and Special offers page). You can use .jpg, .png, .gif or .bmp files from your computer or an image URL from the web. The image will be resized to 160x230 pixels when displayed on the storefront.
- Short promo text: The short offer description (can be shown on the home page, matching category pages, and Special Offers page).
The latter three settings (Description, Image, and Short promo text) are optional.
Further settings in this section allow you to specify the locations in which the offer image and short description will be shown (home page, matching category pages, and Special offers page):
If you want to exclude any of the locations, turn them off.
The result will look as follows:
- On the Home page
- On the Special offers page
- On a category page
On all the above-named pages, the information about the offer can include the offer image and the short promo text:
By clicking on either the image or the short promo text, your store visitors will be able to access the page with the full details of the offer. This page will include the offer title and, if available, the offer detailed description: