The Sale add-on allows configuring discounts, also called sale offers, for the groups of products (or group discounts), including random products in bulk and entire categories and subcategories with all products that belong to them. Besides that, it is also possible to create group discounts for product classes.
A store administrator manages group discounts in the Sale section of the store Admin Area (Discounts -> Sale).
Group discounts can have an expiration period and be displayed in the storefront on the specially created pages.
- Creating a Sale Offer
- Sale Offers for Random Product Groups
- Sale Offer for Product Categories, Subcategories, and Product Classes
Creating a Sale Offer
To create a sale offer:
1. Open the Sale section of the store's Admin Area (Discounts -> Sale).
2. Use the New sale button to create a sale offer.
3. A page called “New sale” will be opened for you to create an offer.
A store admin can configure the following properties for an offer:
- Vendor (for Multivendor edition only): This field sets an owner for the offer (either a store administrator or any of the vendors). If defined, the field limits a sale offer to a particular product owner in both products it applies and permissions for editing. If left blank, a store admin can edit an offer and apply it to any product in the store regardless of the product owner.
- Name: Specify the name of a sales offer here. This name will label products the offer applies to in the store Admin area.
- Enabled: Use this toggle to activate/deactivate a sales offer. The default value is YES.
- List sale products in a separate section: This toggle allows creating a special page for a sale offer displayed on the storefront's categories list. The default value is “NO”.
If set to YES, the toggle expands the following fields:
- CleanURL: Use this field to specify a human-readable and SEO-friendly web address for the sale page. The default option is an autogenerated Clean URL.
To use this feature, make sure Clean URLs are enabled in your store as described in Setting up SEO-friendly URLs.
- Discount page title: Specify the name of a sale offer as it should be displayed in the storefront. If left blank, the discount name specified in the field “Name” will be used as the name of a sale offer in the storefront.
- Meta keywords: Use this field to specify the keywords to be used in the keywords META tag on the sale offer page (for SEO purposes).
- Meta description: Use this field to specify the description used in the description META tag on the sale offer page (for SEO purposes).
- Open Graph meta tags: The custom META tags for sharing the sale offer page on Facebook.
- Discount amount: Set a discount percentage. Absolute values can not be used for group discounts as they may exceed the default product price of some product included in the group.
- Apply sale discount to wholesale prices (only if the Wholesale add-on is enabled): This toggle allows to include products with wholesale prices into an offer. The offer will be valid for wholesale prices only if the discount amount is set in percentages.
- Active from / Active till: Set the sale offer validity period start and expiration dates.
- Valid only for specific products: This toggle allows enabling the sale offer for a group of random products. The default value is NO.
If set to YES, the toggle hides the “Categories” and “Product classes” properties.
- Categories: Use this field to specify the category and/or subcategory name the discount applies to. You can select more than one category and subcategory at once.
- Product classes: Use this field to specify the product class(es) the discount applies to.
- Memberships: Use this field to limit the sale offer to the customers with membership levels specified here.
4. Click the Create button to add an offer to the list.
A new sale offer will be added to the list on the Sale page in your store Admin Area (Discounts -> Sale).
After a sale offer has been created, it is necessary to re-calculate the store quick-data to ensure the offer becomes visible in product filters and displays correctly.
For this purpose, use either the Re-calculate quick data button at the bottom of the page or the prompt link at the top on the sale listing or the sale offer details pages.
- Sale listing page
- Sale offer page
Both the button and the link will forward you to the Cache management page of your store Admin area (System tools -> Cache management), where it is necessary to click Start opposite the Calculate quick data option.
If you add several sale offers, it makes sense to re-calculate quick data for all of them at once.
Sale Offers for Random Product Groups
Random product group discounts can be used when you need to put on sale products from different store categories. Special discounts on a group of random products may be the very case when a store admin may need to create a unique page in the storefront to promote the discounted products.
If this is the case, pay special attention to the following settings described above when creating a sale offer for a group of random products:
- List sale products in a separate section: Enable the option by setting the toggle to YES. Fill in the fields it expands:
- Valid only for specific products: Enable the option by setting the toggle to YES.
After an offer with the Valid only for specific products property set to “YES” is created, you need to apply it to the products in your store.
For this purpose, use one of the two possible ways:
1. Using the Products tab of the current sale offer (regular way).
The Products tab is automatically added to a sale offer with the "Valid only for specific products" property enabled. This allows applying the offer to products in bulk.
To apply an offer to products via the Products tab of the sale offer:
- Open the Products tab of a sale offer page:
- Click Add products to see the list of products:
- Select the products from the pop-up:
- Click Add products to apply a discount to the products selected.
2. Using the Global discounts field in the “Price & Inventory” section of a product details page (alternative way).
The Global discounts field is added to the “Price & Inventory” section of a product details page when at list one sale offer with the Valid only for specific products property enabled is created in a store. The Global discounts field allows applying a sale offer on a per-product basis (can be used, e.g., to add a new product to a group of products put on sale or to delete a product from such a group).
To apply a discount to a product via the Global discounts field:
- Locate a product on the product listing page and open the product details page for editing.
- Scroll down the page to see the “Price & Inventory” section.
- Click inside the Global discounts field to see the sale offers available for the product.
- Click on the sale offer name to apply it to the product.
You may apply as many group discounts to one product as necessary. The final discount calculation performs according to the How to handle multiple sale discounts setting configuration.
- Click Update product to save the changes.
All products that have a group sale offer enabled for them will be recorded on the sale offers listing page and will have a special label with the name of a sale offer on the product listing page and the product details page in the store's Admin area.
- Sale offers listing page.
- Product listing page
- Product details page
If a sale offer has expired or is disabled on the Sale page of the store Admin area, its label is not displayed on the product listing page but still resists in the Global discount field of the “Prices & Inventory” section on the product details page.
Sale Offer for Product Categories, Subcategories, and Product Classes
The Sale add-on makes it possible to differentiate sale offers by specific product categories and/or subcategories and by-product classes.
When creating a sale offer for a product (sub)category and/or product class, a store admin will need to pay special attention to the following settings described above.
- List sale products in a separate section: This option should be set to “NO” if a sale offer is created for a category or subcategory, as it already has a separate page in the storefront. If set to YES is a sale offer is created for a product class.
If this option is set to YES, it is necessary to fill in all the fields it expands:
- Valid only for specific products: This option should be set to “NO” to make the Categories and Product classes properties visible.
- Categories: Use this field to define the categories and/or subcategories the offer applies to. The offer will apply to all and every product within this category.
- Product classes: Use this field to define the product classes the offer applies to. The offer will apply to all and every product with a certain product class specified.
Sale offers active for specific categories and/or subcategories display on the category listing page in your store Admin area. The discount also displays on the product listing page in the store's Admin area for products from the applicable categories and subcategories.
A sale offer created for product classes displays on the product listing page in the store Admin area for the applicable product class products only.
- Category listing page
- Product listing page
The sale offers links on the listing pages are clickable and forward to a respective sale offer details page for editing.