Synonyms is another feature available to users on paid accounts. It can be used to fine-tune your customers’ search experience by specifying queries that should be treated equally. For example, if you want the search queries “TV”, “Television”, “TV set”, and “Television set” to all be equivalent and produce the same search results, place these queries in a single synonym group.
While the most common use for this feature is lexical synonyms such as “sneakers” and “sport shoes”, more advanced and creative scenarios are indeed possible. They can be beneficial for the overall site search performance. For example, one can use synonyms to redirect queries returning few or no results at all to some good results. (Tip: Use the Statistics feature to discover such queries.) In that sense, synonyms can be thought of as a more generalized form of the Promotions feature.
Another context where synonyms can enhance site search is multilingual product (or brand) names. Queries with localized brand names can be induced to return correct results simply by putting the “correct” and “incorrect” queries in a single synonym group. Also, synonyms can be used to fix incorrect but common misspellings of product titles, brands, or other names in complicated situations where automatic spelling corrections cannot help.
Creating Synonyms Groups
Synonyms can be added and managed via the Synonyms tab of the "CloudSearch & CloudFilters Settings" page of your store Admin area (Catalog -> CloudSearch & CloudFilters).
To add a synonym group:
1. On the Synonyms tab of the "CloudSearch & CloudFilters Settings" page of your store Admin area, click the Add synonyms button.
2. In the popup, click inside the text field and specify up to five search queries that you want to be treated as synonymous. You must enter at least two words or phrases.
To enter multiple search queries, separate the individual queries with commas (,) or press ENTER after each query as you type.
3. Click the Add synonyms button in the popup.
A synonym group will be created.
Now, if you try searching with these queries in the store front end, the search results will be the same for all the group queries.
Editing Synonyms Groups
If necessary, you can add and remove synonyms to and from existing groups:
To add a new query to a synonyms group:
Click inside the group line and type the query.
To remove queries from a group:
Click on the 'x' icon of the query you want to remove.
Deleting Synonyms Groups
If necessary, you can delete a synonyms group as a whole. For this purpose:
1. Click on the Trash icon opposite a synonyms group you want to delete.
2. Confirm the deletion in the popup.
Importing/Exporting synonyms Groups
The add-on supports the import and export of synonyms in a CSV file.
To import synonyms groups:
1. Prepare a .csv file with a list of synonyms. In the file, each group of synonyms must be placed on a separate line. A comma must be used as a delimiter between the individual synonyms.
2. On the Synonyms tab of the "CloudSearch & CloudFilters Settings" page of your store Admin area, click the Import button.
3. Click the Choose file button to select the file that needs to be imported.
4. Use the setting Delete all existing synonyms before importing to specify whether CloudSearch should remove any existing synonyms from the system or add the new synonyms to the existing ones.
5. Click Upload file.
After the upload has been completed, the file with synonyms will be added to the system, and you will be able to find them in the section Synonyms.
To export synonyms, use the link Export.