To configure variants for a product:
1. In your store’s Admin area, locate a product you need to configure product variants for and open its product details page:
If you are going to set the Price and Quantity in stock fields as separate values for each of the product variants, check that the content of the respective fields in the Product info tab of the product details page is empty.
Suppose you are planning that some of the Price and Quantity in stock field values are the same for more than one product variant. In that case, you can specify them in the Product info tab of the product details page. These values will be used as default values for any product variants that do not have their own variant-specific SKU, Price, or Quantity in stock values defined.
2. Proceed to the Variants tab to configure the product variants.
On this page, you will see the list of all multi-value attributes - and their respective values - configured for the product.
The product must have either product-specific or product-class attributes configured for it. If it does not, configure multi-value attributes, as described in Multi-Value Attributes (Product Options).
There is no need to set any price/weight modifiers as prices will be set individually for each variant.
3. Select the attributes your variants will be based on, using the respective checkboxes.
4. Choose how you want to create variants: manually or automatically.
We recommend using the manual method if you need to create just a couple of variants. If you need to create a larger number of variants, it will be easier to use the automated generation method; in this case, your X-Cart store will create all possible combinations of the product options, and you will need to disable any combinations that you do not stock.
For manual setup of product variants:
- Click Create variants one by one.
You’ll see a screen as follows:
- Click Add variant to create a new product variant. A section for configuring your first product variant will be expanded below:
- Adjust all the fields in this section as you require and click Save changes. Add the rest of the variants you require using the same method.
You can use the Create all possible variants (N) link at any time to generate the missing product variants. Don’t worry; this will not ruin the variants you have already configured.
To let X-Cart generate product variants for you automatically:
- Click Create all possible variants (N), where N stands for the number of all possible product variants that X-Cart will create.
You’ll see a screen with a list of all possible product variants that X-Cart could create by combining all available options. Each line is a separate product variant with its own price, SKU, and quantity in stock.
- Remove false options if some of the product variants that were generated automatically do not exist in real life, using one of the following methods:
- Click the Trash icon next to the product variant that needs to be removed and click Save changes:
- Select the variants that need to be removed, click Delete, and confirm the action:
5. Configure the variants: upload images, set prices, SKUs, and quantities. You only need to specify the values that differ from the default ones.
6. Specify the default variant by selecting the radio button for this variant in the second column.
7. Be sure to save your changes by clicking Save changes.