Every order in your X-Cart store has a fulfillment status. This status provides information about the current state of the order in the order processing workflow.
By default, X-Cart uses the following order fulfillment statuses:
- New (N*): The initial status that is assigned by default to any new order once it has been created.
- New/Backorder** (NB): The initial status assigned by default to any new order containing the product(s) that obtained an out-of-stock status during the order placement. Can be assigned by the X-Cart system only.
- Processing (P): The merchant is working on the order.
- Shipped (S): The merchant has shipped the order.
- Delivered (D): The buyer has received the package.
- Will not deliver (WND): The order will not be shipped to the buyer for some reason.
- Returned (R): The buyer is returning the ordered items; the items have been sent back to the merchant.
- Not Finished (NF): (Enabled by the addon Not Finished Orders). After the buyer’s attempt to pay for the order, the payment system has returned the “canceled” or “failed” callback, so the order payment status has been set to “Declined”.
* The letters in brackets are the code by which X-Cart stores order statuses in the software code; these codes are used internally only.
** The case occurs when the last item of a product (including products with PIN Codes) is ordered by 2 customers simultaneously. The order placed first according to the X-Cart order counting system is assigned the existing last item of the product. The order placed second is assigned a backorder status for the product(s) that went out of stock during the order placement, a special notification on an order with a new/backorder status placed in the store being sent to the store administrator. The “New/Backorder” fulfillment status does not display in a customer invoice, being substituted with the “New” status there. The store administrator can either send a customer a notification that the backorder product will be delivered with a delay or make a partial refund for the out-of-stock items.