For advanced order management, a store admin should open the order details page by clicking the order number (e.g. #0009) on the order listing page of the store Admin area (Orders -> Orders List).
The tools of advanced order management allow a store administrator to edit the order details, check the order history, maintain notifications and invoices, communicate with the customer, print packing slips, and process returns if required.
The General info tab of the order details page provides the tools for a store admin to adjust all or some order details:
- Customer e-mail address: A store admin can change the customer email. The info will adjust for this order only.
- Staff note: A store admin can provide comments for staff in this field. The notes will be visible to the store staff only.
- Payment method: A store admin can change the payment method if the order was paid with one of the offline payment methods.
- Shipping method: A store admin can change the value for any shipping method.
- Billing address: A store admin can change the customer’s billing address. The info will adjust for this order only.
- Shipping address: A store admin can change the customer’s shipping address. The info will adjust for this order only.
- Fulfillment status: A store admin can change the order fulfillment status to any available from the drop-down.
- Payment status: A store admin can change the order payment status to any available from the drop-down.
- Tracking number: If applicable a store admin can add a tracking number to the order.
To add a tracking number:
- Click on the ‘Add tracking number’ button;
- Add the required tracking number in the new line (a tracking number can have up to 32 symbols);
- Click Save changes (or it is possible to save changes when all required order details have been adjusted).
- Order items: A store admin can change the price and the quantity of the ordered items and add new products to the order.
- Customer note: A store admin can check the customer note attached to an order and edit it if required.
- Discount: A store admin can add a discount coupon by clicking the Add coupon link or a cash discount.
- Shipping cost: A store admin can change the shipping cost applied to the order.
- Gift wrapping: If the Gift Wrapping option is turned ON, a store admin can add a gift-wrapping cost to the order.
If changes apply to the order items and associated costs, the admin must first click the ‘Recalculate totals’ button and save changes after that.
If no changes apply to the costs, the admin can save changes right away.
A store admin can choose whether to inform a customer of the changes applied to the order or not. By default, customers receive notifications on all changes applied to their orders in accordance with the general notifications set-up.
For more info on the email notifications, see the Email Notifications section.
In case a store admin does not want to inform a customer about the changes applied to the order, it will be necessary to enable the Don’t notify customer check-box BEFORE saving changes.
All changes applied to an order record in the order history and can be viewed at the top of the order details page.
Click the View order history link to display the info.
The order history includes the info on all notifications sent to both a store admin and a customer with a possibility to check the text of the notification. To see the text it is necessary to click on the + icon opposite a notification.
The order invoice can be viewed in the Invoice tab of the order details page:
Any changes applied to an order will automatically result in the order invoice alteration.
To print an invoice it is necessary to click the Print invoice button at the top of the order details page.
The Messages tab of the order details page can be used if it is necessary to send notes about the order to a customer.
For detailed guides on how to communicate with customers via the order messages, see Order Messages.
Packing slips provide important details about the order contents and are a great way to communicate what has been sent to the customer.
To print packing slips, it is necessary to click the Print packing slip button at the top of the order details page.
For detailed guides on how to use packing slips in X-Cart, see Packing Slips.
Order returns become an available feature for a store admin in case the Order Returns add-on is installed and enabled.
A store admin can create a return or work with a return request from a customer in the Create return or Order return tab of the order details page (the tab name will differ depending on the action to be performed):
For detailed guides on how to process returns in X-Cart, see Order Returns.