After creating a category or subcategory, you need to make sure that it is properly configured to display all the necessary information to your customers.
To edit a category:
1. Open the Categories section in the store Admin area (Catalog -> Categories)
2. Locate a category you need to edit and click on the category name.
3. Use the fields in the Category Info tab on the category details page to provide information.
The only required fields are Category name and Parent category.
The category properties that can be specified on the details page are as follows:
- Category name: The name by which you and your customers will identify this category.
- Parent category: The category to which this category belongs (if it’s a subcategory). If it is a top level category, let it belong to the root category (This way it will be displayed on the home page).
- Show category title: Select if you want the category title to be visible or hidden from customers.
- Category image: Use this section to add an image for the category. Note: X-Cart does not impose strict limitations regarding the size of category images that can be uploaded because it can resize and crop images automatically for best results. The dimensions to which the original image will be resized and cropped are set in the Images section of your store’s Admin area (Look&Feel -> Images); these dimensions may be different depending on the skin used by your store and can be changed manually if required. For more info on the management of images, including category images, see the section Managing Images.
- Top banner: Use this section to add a banner of the category. If you need to edit a banner representation, see How to change the height of the top category banner.
- Description: A category description that will be displayed on the category details page. If you need to add a video to the category description, see Adding a video to product or category description.
- Clean URL: The category page Clean URL (for SEO purposes).
- Category page title: The title to be used in the title bar of this category details page (for SEO purposes). If the field is left blank the category name will be used as page title.
- Meta keywords: The keywords to be used in the keywords META tag on the category page (for SEO purposes).
- Meta description: The description to be used in the description META tag on the category page (for SEO purposes).
- Open Graph meta tags: The custom META tags for sharing the category page on Facebook.
- Memberships: Membership levels to which this category should be available. Non-members and users belonging to other membership levels will not be able to see the category on the storefront.
- Enabled: Whether the category should be displayed on the storefront. Uncheck this option to temporarily remove the category from the storefront (store visitors will not be able to see it).
- Classes for product filter: Define what attributes will be included in the product filter block on a category page in the store front-end.
4. Click Update to save the changes.
That’s it! Your category has been configured. Now you can populate it with products.