To start using the add-on E-goods in an X-Cart 5 store, install it as described in Installing Add-ons from X-Cart App Store.
When installed and enabled, proceed to the add-on settings page to configure it.
You'll see a page like this. Configure the provided settings as described below.
- Download link TTL (days): Specify the number of days that a buyer of a downloadable product should be able to access the product they have purchased using the product download link provided to them. To allow unlimited access, set this value to zero.
Important: The “Download link TTL (days)” setting does not apply to files on Amazon S3 Signed URLs. If a downloadable product file is stored on Amazon S3, the Amazon Signed URL will be available for 7 days; X-Cart has no control of that. The link availability in this case, however, can be restricted using the setting “Downloads limit (per 1 ordered item)”. (See below)
- Downloads limit (per 1 ordered item): Specify the number of downloads available to the buyer who has purchased a downloadable product (i.e., how many times the buyer of a downloadable product should be able to download the product using the download link provided to them). To allow unlimited access, set this value to zero.
Important: Since it is not possible for X-Cart to track the download of files from Amazon Signed URLs, for files stored on Amazon S3, the setting “Downloads limit (per 1 ordered item)” will only affect the number of times that a URL can be opened by the buyer (regardless of whether the file has been downloaded).
- Keep a history of downloads: Specify whether your X-Cart store should keep a history of downloads for downloadable files. Because X-Cart cannot track downloads from the Amazon S3 storage, for files stored on Amazon S3, the history of downloads will be formed based on the buyer’s attempts to open the respective Amazon S3 Signed URLs.
- Show only ESD related fulfillment statuses: If you sell only downloadable products and want to get rid of any fulfillment statuses used for tangible goods but not for e-goods, enable this option. It will disable all the standard X-Cart order fulfillment statuses except for the following three: New, Delivered, and Will Not Deliver. If you wish, you can rename the statuses as you require using the add-on Custom order statuses.
- Approve before providing access to download: Disable this option if you want the buyer of a downloadable product to automatically get a download link for the product they have purchased as soon as they have paid for the order. Enable this option if you want all e-goods orders to be submitted to you for manual review first so you can approve or forbid access to the downloadable file for the buyer. (In the manual review mode, all e-goods orders will be created with the fulfillment status Waiting for approve; for the buyer to get a download link, you will need to reset the order fulfillment status from Waiting for approve to any other status, except for Will not deliver).
To facilitate the download of large file attachments (100 Mb and larger) by customers, use X-Sendfile. To do so, contact your hosting provider to make sure X-Sendfile is installed on the server and configure your X-Cart installation to support large file downloads. For details, see the section Configuring your X-Cart server for better large file download performance.
Alternatively, use Amazon S3 Signed URLs. See the section Configuring Amazon S3 Signed URLs for more info.
Due to the specifics of how digital products are delivered to the buyer, you should also give some thought to what payment methods you will make available on your store website. You may consider disabling any online payment methods with automatic order processing and choose to enable only those payment methods that require manual processing, or you may choose to enable payment methods that allow using the “auth only” mode.
The “auth only” mode means that the order total is not withdrawn from the buyer’s payment card at the time of order placement. Still, authorization is requested to ensure that the required sum is actually available. The store administrator needs to take steps to capture the authorized amount or void the authorization manually. The download link does not become available to the buyer until the order amount is captured and the order gets processed.
Processing orders that contain downloadable products using payment methods with “auth only” mode or other methods that require manual order processing allows you to filter suspicious and potentially fraudulent orders and approve only trustworthy purchases.