When creating a new product, you need to specify product details via the form fields of the “Add product” page.
The actual set of fields available to you on this page depends on the X-Cart edition you are using and the set of add-ons enabled.
If you do not see some of the fields described below in your X-Cart store Admin area, it means that the add-on that enables this field is not installed or is not active. To see what add-ons are active in your store and, if necessary, to install/activate more add-ons, check the My addons section in your X-Cart store Admin area.
More info on the management of X-Cart add-ons can be found in the Managing Ad-dons section of the X-Cart Help Center.
The following list of fields corresponds to the set of product fields available for configuration on a fresh install of X-Cart Ultimate edition:
- Vendor: Company name and email of the vendor who owns the product.
- Product name: The name by which you and your customers will identify this product.
- SKU: The product SKU (A code that will serve as a unique identifier for this product). If you leave this field blank, an SKU will be generated automatically when the product is saved.
- Images: Use this section to add images for the product. Note that X-Cart does not impose strict limitations regarding the size of product images that can be uploaded because it can automatically resize and crop images for the best appearance on various store pages. For example, X-Cart will use the original image uploaded by you via this section to create different sized images for the product details page, the product list page in the list view, and the product list page in grid view. The dimensions to which the original image will be resized and cropped are set in the Images section of your store’s Admin area (Look&Feel -> Images); these dimensions may be different depending on the skin used by your store and can be changed manually if required. For more info on the management of images, including product images, see the section Managing Images.
- Category: The category (or categories) to which this product belongs.
- Description: A short product description that displays on product list pages.
- Full description: A longer product description that is displayed on the product details page.
- Allow buyers to attach files to this product: Use this toggle to allow customers to attach files during shopping.
- Tags: Use this field to assign tags defined via the Product tags section (Catalog > Tags) to the current product.
- Available for sale: This toggle defines whether the product should be displayed on the storefront. Uncheck this option to temporarily remove the product from the storefront (Store visitors will not be able to see it).
- Call for price: This field is only available if X-Cart’s Call For Price addon is active; it enables you to specify that the price and Add to cart button must not be provided for the current product; instead, a message inviting store visitors to call for the price should be displayed.
Prices & Inventory
- Memberships: Membership levels to which this product should be available. Non-members and users belonging to other membership levels will not see the product on the storefront. For more info on memberships in X-Cart, see User Membership Levels.
- Coupons: Coupon(s) that apply to the product.
- Tax class: The tax class to which the product belongs (Defines what taxes should be applied to the product). For more info on tax classes, see Setting up tax classes.
- Price: The product base price.
- Market price: Use this field to set a market product price showing the difference between the product price offered in your store and the average price of this product on the market.
- Sale: Use this field to put the product on sale. After enabling the “Sale” option, you will be able to specify either a sale price for the product (expressed in the store currency) or a discount (expressed as a percentage of the product base price).
- Apply product-specific discount to wholesale price: This toggle allows to include wholesale prices into a sale offer. The offer will be valid for wholesale prices only if the discount amount is set in percentages.
- Global discounts: This field allows to apply a sale offer to a product (e.g., to add a new product to a group of products put on sale or to delete a product from such a group).
- Arrival date: This field allows you to specify the date when the product is or will be available in your store. On its own, the information entered in this field serves purely informational purposes, but X-Cart addons may employ it. For example, it is used by the add-on Product Advisor, which enables you to mark specific products in your catalog as “Coming soon,” publishing their expected arrival date for the store visitors to see and automatically switches the status of such products to “New arrival” on the date of arrival.
- Automatic reward points: Use this field to specify whether reward points for buying the current product should be calculated from the product price automatically or adjusted manually. With the “Automatic reward points” option disabled, you will be able to set the number of points that a customer will earn by buying the current product via the Reward points field (appears when the “Automatic reward points” option is enabled).
This field is enabled by the Loyalty Program add-on.
- Inventory tracking: Whether you wish to use the inventory tracking feature for this product. The inventory tracking feature enables you to specify the number of product units you have on hand initially (using the “Quantity in stock” field; see below); your X-Cart store will then track all the purchases of the product. Every time someone buys the product, the number in the “Quantity in stock” field will be reduced automatically by the number of units that have been purchased. If you have a stock refill, you edit the value in the “Quantity in stock” field, increasing the value by the number of units you require. As a result, you will be able to tell how many units of the product you have in stock at any time. If the product quantity is unlimited and does not need to be tracked, the inventory tracking feature can be disabled.
- Quantity in stock: The product's current inventory level (the number of product units in stock). The value specified in this field is used for the Inventory tracking feature.
- Available for backorder: Use this field to specify that the current product can be purchased even when it is out of stock. After enabling the “Available for backorder” option, you will also set a backorder label for the product and limit the back-order quantity (see below).
This field is enabled by the Backorder / Preorder addon.
- Backorder label: This field is only available if the setting “Available for backorder” is enabled. It allows you to add a message regarding the backordering of the current product, which your store visitors will see attached to this product in product lists and on the product page when the product is out of stock. You can insert the number of units available for backordering into this message by using the “%number%” placeholder; for example: “You can backorder up to %number% items.”
- Limit the backorder quantity: This field is only available if the setting “Available for backorder” is enabled. It allows you to specify that only a limited number of products can be purchased on backorder and specify the maximum limit via the Max. backorder quantity field (appears when the “Limit the backorder quantity” option is enabled).
- Weight: Product weight. If the product requires shipping, this setting may affect the calculation of order shipping cost.
- Requires shipping: Whether this product requires shipping. This setting affects the calculation of order shipping cost. (If the product does not require shipping, the shipping cost for it will not be calculated).
- Freight: This field is enabled by the add-on Free Shipping and Shipping Freights. More info on using this setting is available in the section Shipping Freight.
- Free shipping: This field is enabled by the add-on Free Shipping and Shipping Freights. More info on using this setting is available in the section Free Shipping on Specific Products.
- Exclude from shipping cost calculation: This field is enabled by the add-on Free Shipping and Shipping Freights. More info on using this setting is available in the section Free Shipping on Specific Products.
- Separate box: Whether the product needs to be shipped separately from other products. If it needs to be shipped in a separate box, you can define the box dimensions and the maximum number of product units that fit in this box. This setting affects the calculation of order shipping cost.
- Open Graph meta tags: The custom META tags for sharing the product page on Facebook.
- Meta description: The description to be used in the description META tag on the product page (for SEO purposes).
- Meta keywords: The keywords to be used in the keywords META tag on the product page (for SEO purposes).
- Product page title: The title to be used in the title bar of this product details page (for SEO purposes).
- Clean URL: The product page Clean URL (human-readable SEO-friendly URL, typically based on the product name). The URL can be configured manually (by editing the field contents directly) or generated automatically (by enabling the “Autogenerate Clean URL” option below before saving the product). If the Clean URLs feature is disabled, you will need to activate it for the SEO-friendly page URLs to become available to store visitors. For more info, see Setting up SEO-friendly URLs.
- Add to Facebook product feed: This toggle allows to include the product into a feed sent to Facebook.
- Add to Google product feed: This toggle allows to include the product into a feed sent to Google.